Disapperance of a Grub menu after repairing a problem on a Windows partition

Ashok Patel ashokpatel at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 16:51:23 UTC 2004

Hi, redhat folks. I have a question about GRUB boot
menu disappearnce. I am quiet new to Linux
environment. I have a good knowledge of Windows but
not Linux.

Currently on my AMD 550 Mhz Athlon system, I have two
hard drives (harddrive 1 with 100 BG capacity and
harddrive 2 with 30GB capacity). Hard drive 1 includes
three partitions, each partition having Windows XP on
it. Hard drive 2 includes ONLY Fedora core 1.
After installation of Fedora core I on hard drive2, I
was getting GRUB menu (as usual) and then was able to
boot into either Linux Fedora Core 1 or MS Windows.
Then accidently due to some unknown reason, I was
getting a problem on MS Windows XP of the third
partition of hard drive 1. I fixed the problem on the
third partion MS Windows.

Now after repairing the third partition MS windows
problem, what happened is that GRUB menu stopped
appearing.

Now a days, IF I want to open Fedora Core 1, then I
MUST use a Fedora Core I bootable CD. If I don't use
the Fedora Core 1 bootable CD, then GRUB manu does not
appear and computer instead boots direcly into Windows
boot menu.

My point is that I want to have GRUB menu back
"without using the Fedora Core 1 bootable CD" so that
I will have option of booting either into Fedora Core
1 or MS windows. Would anybody help me bringing the
GRUB menu back. I don't want to insert the Fedora Core
1 bootbale CD each time to open Fedora Core I.

Any help will be appreciated.

-Ashok Patel
ashokpatel at yahoo.com