Faiked updates

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 13 23:26:08 UTC 2004

Eric Whitcombe wrote:
> I have just installed and am trying to get updates. I keep getting this
> message:
>
> There was a fatal error communicating with the server. The message was:
> File not Found: r-e-d.a
>
> Error Message:
>        Invalid RPM package XFree-4.3.0-2.90.55.src.rpm requested
> Error Class Code: 17
> Error Class Info: File not Found.
> Explanation:
>        An error has occurred while processing your request. If this
> problem
> persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com
>        If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to
> include
> details of what you were trying to do when this error   occurred and
> details on how to reproduce this problem.
>
> I remember answering a setup question to the effect that I always wanted
> to get source packages every time I update. But I don't know if I can
> turn it off and on or why there is no source package for the X package I
> am trying to update.

First, which Red Hat version are you trying to work with?

Second, are you pulling these updates from Red Hat's server or a mirror?

I ask the second question because up2date typically queries Red Hat's
server for update availability, but may pull your updates from a mirror
server.  The mirror may not be in sync with Red Hat, meaning that it
hasn't gotten the update data yet.  The mirror operation is not
instantaneous.  Most mirrors fetch update data from Red Hat once or
twice a day, so there may be a lag between the time Red Hat says an
updates is available and the time it physically shows up on the mirrors.
-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -