Mozilla search bug resolved and an upgrade question

Ken Scott kens at geodax.com
Fri Apr 16 13:43:58 UTC 2004

Greetings,
I allowed the up2date function to update my system last night.  I
previously had Mozilla 1.1 (i think).  Now I have 1.4.2 but there
appears to be a bug in Mozilla that when you type a string in the Url:
box (white box at the top) and the "search for " choice appears clicking
on it does nothing.  Old behavior was that a new window would open
containing search results on that string.

Fix for this is to go into preferences and change your default web
search engine, then the search behavior will work correctly.

Before I discovered the above I figured I'd have to upgrade Mozilla
beyond 1.4.2 and don't see how to do that easily.  I have the following:
[kens at KENS02L kens]$ rpm -qa | grep mozilla
mozilla-1.4.2-0.9.0
mozilla-nspr-1.4.2-0.9.0
mozilla-nss-1.4.2-0.9.0
mozilla-mail-1.4.2-0.9.0

I downloaded the following packages :
[kens at KENS02L kens]$ dir /home/kens/downloads/packages/mozilla
mozilla-1.6-0.9.0.i386.rpm
mozilla-nspr-1.6-0.9.0.i386.rpm
mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.6-installer.tar.gz
mozilla-nss-1.6-0.9.0.i386.rpm
mozilla-mail-1.6-0.9.0.i386.rpm

What is the easiest way to affect an upgrade to 1.6 (preferably using
the RH9 rpm system?
Thanks.
Ken