Linux Visibility on Microsoft Network

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 19 20:52:37 UTC 2004

Wesa, Richard (GE Consumer & Industrial) wrote:
> Rick,
> I still cannot map to any resources on the RedHat 9 server.
> On this Microsoft network should I be using
> 	DOMAIN
> 	USER
> 	SERVER
> 	or SHARE security?
> Thanks... Richard

Sorry I didn't respond quickly, Richard.  I've been busy putting out
brush fires and getting beta code in some condition we can demo it in
(secret: NEVER tell your marketing department what you're working on--
they'll sell the bloody thing WAY before it's ready).

As to the security model--it rather depends on what your MS network
uses:

DOMAIN:	Your users are vetted by a Windows domain controller (WDC)
somewhere on your network.  If you use this model, you will need to
fill in the bits that tell Samba which WDC to use.

USER:	Each Windows user must ALSO have an account on the Linux box.
The user will be authenticated by Samba.  To use this, you must set up
user accounts for each Windows user, enable the "encrypt passwords =
yes" option in the Samba config file, and create a smbpasswd file on the
Linux machine.  Creating that file requires you to have the users'
cleartext passwords.  NOTE: If I recall correctly, your users' names all
start with a digit which is not permitted in Linux so this mode may be
unavailable to you.

SHARE:	Permission to access a given share is controlled by the access
settings on the share itself.  This includes things such as "guest ok =
yes", "guest user = whatever", "authorized users = <list>" (also
requires the user accounts to be created and the smbpasswd file), etc.

Again, if you can tell me exactly what you're trying to do, the users
involved, the WDC (if you have one) and what client types (W98, ME,
that sort of thing) you have, I can try to brew up a file that'll do
what you want.

I'd recommend you send it to me directly (don't post it to the list)
and you may wish to encrypt it.  I am including my public GPG key below.

-   Whoever said "Money can't buy friends" obviously never brought   -
-                        donuts to the office.                       -