EL 2.1 install via PXE Boot and NFS Kickstart

Aaron Cline acline2 at cox.net
Mon Apr 19 22:33:05 UTC 2004

Hi:

I've been going round and round with a problem for the last few days and
I'm hoping someone out here can help.  I have a bunch of new Compaq
D530s with Broadcom NICs.  The Broadcom driver for these NICs is the
bcm5700.  The bcm5700 driver in the 2.4.9.e34BOOT kernel does not work
out of the box.  I have downloaded some GPL drivers from Broadcom's
site.  I have been able to compile these for the 2.4.9.e34BOOT kernel
and insmod them on a machine running this kernel.  They work like a
charm.  I have also found other documentation about howto edit the
RHCD1:/images/pxeboot/initrd.img file to add my new bcm5700 module to
the boot image.

I then boot via PXE.  Everything works great.  I get a message saying
bcm5700 found.  Then it says it inserts the module, no errors.  Then it
says its going to try to get an address via DHCP, and chokes.  Basically
the kernel tells me that there is no eth0 device.  I'm stumped.  I have
been working on this for days.  Does anyone have any tid-bits of wisdom?

Thanks,

A Cline

acline2 at cox dot NET