Recover utilities

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 21 16:23:38 UTC 2004

Carr, Steve M CW4 FL-ARNG wrote:
> HP-UX has a utility called make_recovery that creates a bootable tape
> that will restore the OS.
>

> Does RedHat Linux have a similar utility or can you just restore from a
> backup tape and it'll make your disk bootable ?

Nope.  You can create a bootable floppy via "mkbootdisk".  If you boot
from that floppy after dying, you can then restore from a tape.  The
only way to make the disk bootable again is to restore /boot and /sbin
(and /etc if you're using lilo), then rerun the boot loader install
(either "grub-install" or "lilo").

You can also use many different ghosting programs to copy exact images
of your running system to backup hard drives.
-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -