Linux Visibility on Microsoft Network

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 21 17:04:02 UTC 2004

Wesa, Richard (GE Consumer & Industrial) wrote:
> It seems as though I must join the Redhat 9.0 server to our domain. In the documentation that came with the
> install, it says to do a "net join" command. There is no such command.
> Does anybody know where I can find it or install it?

Actually, you need to create a machine account for the Samba server
in your domain:

1.  You need to stop the nmbd and smbd daemons on the Samba machine (you
can use swat to do this).

2.  Use the "Server Manager" utility on the PDC to create a machine
account for the Samba server.  When the server manager asks for the
machine name, use the NETBIOS name of the Samba server--NOT the FQDN
DNS name (e.g. "HOSTNAME" not "HOSTNAME.DOMAIN.COM")

3.  On the Samba server, create a machine password so the system can
join the domain.  If the domain is called "MYDOMAIN" and the PDC's
NETBIOS name is "MYPDC":

	# smbpasswd -j MYDOMAIN -r MYPDC

4.  Make sure the [global] section of your smb.conf file contains
this data:

	security = domain
	domain logins = yes
	workgroup = MYDOMAIN
	password server = MYPDC

(again, you can use swat to do this, but you must go to the GLOBALS
display and set the view to ADVANCED).

5.  Restart nmbd and smbd to get the Samba server to join the domain.

P.S. I am working on your configuration.  I should have it by Friday.
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -