Thanx - Re: Installing UniBasic on ES 3.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 22 17:47:34 UTC 2004

gerry nix wrote:
> --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>
>>gerry nix wrote:
>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>Hope this is not too off-topic.  I have to install UniBasic
>>>runtime on ES 3.0. It comes with a (what I think we used to
>>>call a "!@*%&!" Dongle)... A box that plugs into a serial port
>>>to give "full functionality" to the software.
>>>
>>>I suppose I'll have to add a line in /etc/inittab to get the
>>>OS to "talk to" the serial port. Printed on the box, it only
>>>says it is set for 19200.  Should the following work?
>>>
>>>/sbin/agetty 19200 /dev/ttyS1
>>
>>You shouldn't have to do anything.  No changes to /etc/inittab.  No
>>spawning of gettys.  Nothing.
>>

>>>Or do I need to add the -i -n to supress /etc/issue and login
>>>prompt? When I do the former at the command line, the process
>>>is started. When I add the -i -n, it blows me off the system.
>>
>>If you must do this, use "ttyS1" not "/dev/ttyS1" (see the man
>>page).
>>Also, the use of "-n" will prevent the system from determining the
>>parity character size, stop bit or end-of-line handling and will
>>default
>>to space parity, 7-bit characters, 2 stop bits, and CR eol handling
>>(can
>>you say ancient UUCP settings?).
>>
>>The software should open the serial port and verify that you have
>>the
>>farking dongle installed.  You shouldn't have to do anything like
>>spawn
>>a getty to the serial port or log into the thing.  It's just a
>>"proof
>>of purchase", anti-pirating geegaw.  If you have to tell the
>>software
>>which serial port the thing is on, the first serial port (COM1 in
>>the
>>DOS world) is /dev/ttyS0, the second (COM2) is /dev/ttyS1.
>>
>>If you're telling us that you have to plug a serial terminal into
>>the
>>dongle and log in that way to use the package, hoo boy!  I'd really
>>get
>>on the morons who wrote it and tell them that this is the 21st
>>century
>>and we like GUIs to develop code in.  Requiring one to use a VT100
>>or
>>ADM-3 over a serial port to use their software is spectacularly
>>stupid.
>>That is 1970's technology.  90% of the companies that used such
>>silly
>>things (dongles, key disks, etc.) are long-since dead.  Good
>>riddance,
>>too.
>

> Rick,
> Thanks for the feedback. No serial terminal required (thank
> goodness). It's what the client has and what I have to use.
> There's really no documentation. If the software "finds the
> farking thing" I be as happy as [deleted expletive].

Understood.

> Totally ancient technology... Yes. Something p--s a guy off,
> who has real stuff to do :-).

Much as I hate to admit it, I've got a rainbow Afro wig and some lime-
green 2" platform shoes that match a polyester leisure suit along with
a mint copy of Peaches 'n' Herb's "Shake Your Groove Thing" you can send
them if you want.  I've long since melted the gold chains down to pay
for a MicroVAX 10e.

:-P

(Ooooh!  Did I just date myself or what?)
-    When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.     -