installed new hard drive - now can't find it

Dana Holland dana.work at navarrocollege.edu
Wed Apr 28 12:48:01 UTC 2004

It finally dawned on us to try Dell support since that's who we just
bought the drive from.  It's a hardware RAID - they had us initialize
the drives using the Array Configuration Manager, and now they have a
couple of more commands they want us to run - supposedly after that the
additional space will be visible.  However, they're suggesting that we
do a full system backup before we run these last commands.  I know how
to do a system backup on AIX, but I've never done one on Linux - I've
always just tarred what was important to me to a tape or another box.
Plus, this is further complicated by the fact that we have an Oracle
database on this box.  Can anyone point me to directions for doing a
system backup?  As usual, I'm searching the internet for the
information, but we're getting into a crunch timewise.