scripting question

jeffrey_n_Dyke at Keane.com jeffrey_n_Dyke at Keane.com
Thu Apr 29 15:51:50 UTC 2004

Hello.
      I'm doing some scripting on linux and have a couple questions about
how to get around a few builtin features. I'm on RH9 using Bash as a shell.

1. is there a way to run a command in a loop with graves, and keep the
newline characters?
or
2. is there a way to run exec without it exiting the current shell after
the command ends?

The task at hand is to compare volume groups with lsvg on a source and
backup host, to check if something changed and they forgot to tell me....I
know of other ways to do this, but i'm looking to expand shell scripting
knowledge.

Thanks,
Jeff