Memory usage

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Fri Apr 30 16:14:44 UTC 2004

The Linux kernel usually uses memory which is not in use by user
processes
as the disk cache. Therefore, usually there is little memory which is
comletely 'free' - as memory pages are freed by processes those pages
are used
for disk cache. When some process needs memory the kernel will reduce
the disk cache size ang give to the procces memory which was occipied by
cache.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com