how to mount a patition under which i can ln .

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Aug 5 15:56:32 UTC 2004

zhaoh at cnic.cn wrote:
> i have set umask 022, but it doesn't work.
> i guess it's because file system(fat32) has no link ability.
> I will try mount a ext3 to test if i can run symbol link on it.

FAT filesystems have no support for symbolic links.  NTFS do to a
certain extent, but not to the extent that a native Linux filesystem
does (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, etc.)

And we prefer bottom posting on this list (put your replies AFTER
what you're replying to).

> 引用 Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuaroste at yahoo.es>:
>

>> --- zhaoh at cnic.cn escribi?
>>
>>>my /etc/fstab:
>>>/dev/hda6 /mnt/winshare/ vfat defauts,umask=0 0 0
>>>
>>>I use ln command under this patition:
>>>ls -s /mnt/winshare/testfile
>>>/mnt/winshare/symtestfile,
>>>i got the reply:no permission to ln.
>>>
>>>Pls give me any suggestion.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Try to set your umask  022
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -