Gnome X on RH9

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Aug 5 18:34:21 UTC 2004

> karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> I've had this problem intermittently:
>>
>> 1: X takes a while to start. In XFree86.n.log there are some things
>> about
>> not being able to use this or that resolution because hsync is out of
>> range, but I probed my monitor (a Dell 1028) and the returned values
>> match
>> the tech documents I've seen on the monitor (I look that stuff up for a
>> monitor when I get it, then write it down on a label and affix it to the
>> side). I'm not real sure what to look for...
>>
>> 2: Gnome doesn't run except after a reboot. I have to login using KDE,
>> WindowMaker or TWM to get a session started. So, I can run gnome once,
>> then have to reboot if I have to run it a second time.
>>
>> 3: (see # 1). When logging out, it takes at least 30 seconds for the
>> login
>> screen to come back.
>>
>> I've created an .xsession file and nothing comes to .xssession-errors. I
>> created .xinitrc and tried various things there, too.
>
> First, verify that your /etc/inittab file has a line like:
>
> 	x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

That's got to be there for KDE to start up, right? Yes, it's there. Always
has been...

> in it.  If so, then check to see if you have an /etc/sysconfig/desktop
> file.  If you don't, create one and put the line:
>
> 	DISPLAYMANGER=GNOME

DESKTOP="GNOME" is there, but not DISPLAYMANAGER, so I added it. Since
this is at home, I'll test tonight...

> in it.  That should default the display manager to Gnome.  You can also
> specify the display manager from the login screen.
>
> As far as the slow shutdown is concerned, it depends on what programs
> are running.  You may have something that's checkpointing to the disk
> when it receives the session termination signal.

No software running. The delay is after everything is closed down, the
screen goes black just before X restarts, but it doesn't.

Also, when doing CTRL-ALT, F[1-6] from the login screen, I get a text
login quickly, but pressing ALT, F7 to return to X takes another 30
seconds, however it's different. The background screen comes up
imediately, but the login window, though present, shows no text, border or
anything else, just a gray square with a white-ish bar which becomes the
input field for login name and password. No focus and no response either.
Waiting for 30 seconds results in a login screen again. If I do CTRL-ALT,
BKSPC, the server closes down like when logging off and then after 30
seconds comes back.

Karl...