Gnome X on RH9

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Aug 5 23:12:42 UTC 2004

>> input field for login name and password. No focus and no response
>> either.
>> Waiting for 30 seconds results in a login screen again. If I do
>> CTRL-ALT,
>> BKSPC, the server closes down like when logging off and then after 30
>> seconds comes back.
>
> Now that's starting to smell like a DNS issue, with the system trying to
> reverse resolve its address to set up the required permissions and such.
> Is this machine on a dialup or something?

Nope, DSL. I've been using this thing for a while. In the beginning this
happened. I messed with it for a while using KDE (second choice behind
gnome; please no religious fire-bombs), then one day logged back in using
gnome and it worked just fine. I changed a couple display settings and it
blew up, but reversing them doesn't fix it... screen resolution.

Wouldn't KDE also have a problem working if it was DNS?

Karl