modem installation

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sat Aug 7 19:07:32 UTC 2004

Greetings ,

Ted Potter wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Running RH9 - I just happened along an internal modem and for grins
> thought I would try it. Was not expecting much as it came out of a dell
> windows machine (XP) but what the hey.
>
> the new hardware found screen came up and listed it as:
>
> conexant hsf/56k data/fax/voice/spkp modem and offered to install it.
> Cool said I perhaps it will just work.

You mean that you let kudzu figure out what is going on ? That's a
nasty idea because kudzu will probably mess things up since he will not
be able to detect what is going on with your modem . It is uncertain
what happens this way . There have been written a couple of tons of
pages on the subject of internal modems on this very list and on
redhat-ppp list .

> minicom and internet connection manager all say "device busy" when I try
> testing on ttyS0 ttyS1 and /dev/modem. I noticed during boot the irg for
> the modem seems to set to 10 shared with the video card I think.

If there is an IRQ conflict as you say , things might work out if you
resolve the conflict .

#lspci -v -v should give you enough information in order to verify if
there is an IRQ Conflict or not . Then since you don't have the modem
drivers installed try to move your video card out of the way so the
modem can pick up the IRQ .

> I have disabled both com ports in bios.

May i ask why you have done that ?

> If someone has a quick idea to get it to work that would be great.

Go to www.linmodems.org and check for Conexant modems . It should
provide you a link to another page where you will probably find a driver
for your modem . If you find it , install it and you are done. If you
can't find it then just fallback to a good old external serial modem .

> Otherwise I can fall back on my external modem.

Falling back to your external modem is the safest and fastest way out of
trouble , although i have to admitt that i have been using an internal
modem for the past couple of years ( for as long as i am subscribed to
this very mailling list )  without a problem from the momment that i
managed to find the driver.

> I appreciate any comments.
>

> Thanks !
>

> Ted Potter