Cannot open shared object file errors preventing boot up

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 9 06:54:45 UTC 2004

Hello Folks, I don't know if I have been hacked or have simply managed
to corrupt something but I cannot start any apps. and cannot really boot
the system.

The errors I am receiving all say 'error while loading shared library
<some library: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"

While trying to boot the first error encountered says: "Starting xfs:
xfs: error while loading shared library libXfont.so.1: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory."

The when the graphical login screen is trying to load I get the error
"Id X respawning too fast. Disaabled for 5 minutes"

If I manage to boot into run level 3 then try to run 'startx' I get
about 6 lines of errors similar to the following: " Xauth: error while
such file or directory"

I was running mrtg at the time and it failed with the same type of error.

The only other thing I was doing at the time was installing epiphany
using the package manager, which finished normally but epiphany would
not run. Said it was starting but it bombed out. Trying to start it from
a terminal resulted in a similar error to all the above.

Help Please... I'm sending this from Win 98, not good.

--

Kind regards,
Graeme Nichols.