rpm db corrupted

Cindy H. Wang cutewang520 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 01:08:24 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Help!!!  The rpm database on my system is corrupted!  I have tried to remove __db* and ran "rpm --rebuilddb".  When I run rpm -qa, only 32 rpm returns back.  That doesn't seem right.   What can I do to recover the rpm database?  (The system is not on backup!)

I also tried to do up2date to upgrade all the filesets to make sure there is no version conflicts, but got the following errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 1190, in ?
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 669, in main
    up2dateAuth.updateLoginInfo()
  File "up2dateAuth.py", line 141, in updateLoginInfo
  File "up2dateAuth.py", line 105, in login
  File "up2dateAuth.py", line 49, in maybeUpdateVersion
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py", line 228, in getVersion
    release, version = getOSVersionAndRelease()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py", line 221, in getOSVersionAndRelease
    raise up2dateErrors.RpmError(
up2date_client.up2dateErrors.RpmError: RPM error.  The message was:
Could not determine what version of Red Hat Linux you are running.
If you get this error, try running
                rpm --rebuilddb

Thanks for your help.

Cindy