Question

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Aug 10 04:38:53 UTC 2004

> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
>

>> > # Configuration created Sat Jan 19 by KLP
>> > set logfile "/var/log/fetchmail"
>> > set postmaster "postmaster"
>> > set bouncemail
>> > set properties ""
>> > set daemon 120
>> > poll remote_mail_server.com and options no dns
>> >        user 'your_remote_user_name' there with password 'remote_pw' is
>> > 'local_user' here options fetchall
>> >     smtphost  your_mail_server_domain.com
>> > I just put the line:
>> >
>> > /usr/bin/fetchmail
>> >
>> > in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it comes up on boot and with the
>> > /root/.fetchmailrc file (permissiona: 710) as above (with other fetch
>> > sites removed for brevity), it's very nice and hasn't fallen down for
>> > several years.
>> >
>> > Karl
>> >

>> Thank you, I've set it up to run under /etc/rc.d/rc.local but
>> when the computer boots I get the error message "no mailserver
>> has been specified"  Is fetchmail still running (how can I tell)?
>> Is it getting  this message as the machine isn't fully booted up
>> yet and can't see /root/.fetchmailrc yet or what?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Brad
>
> OK, with it just in rc.local fetchmail doesn't seem to want to
> run.  Any suggestions?
>
> Brad

I'm running RH v8.0. I don't know if that makes a difference. Also,
fetchmail expects things to be set correctly as far as permissions. If you
created the .fetchmailrc file with the logfile setup, check it for hints.
The log files are where I go for most of my help... sometimes I even get
good help from them 8^} . . .

Karl