Are the following open ports a danger?

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Aug 10 15:23:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 02:18, Graeme Nichols wrote:
> Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
>
> >  --- Chris Hewitt <rhil at manordata.uklinux.net>
> > escribió:

> >>utility, nmap, to discover

> >>as follows:-

> >>) at 2004-08-09 13:07

> >>(192.168.1.1):

> >>state: closed)

> >>Linux 2.4.19 rc1-rc7)

> >>scanned in 6.560 seconds

> >>that I should close?

> >>not my forte I'm

> >>kernel 2.6.6
> >>
> >>Graeme,
> >>

> > 12345/tcp open  NetBus
> > 12346/tcp open  NetBus
> >
> > Have you got a firewall running?
>
> Hi Manuel, thanks. Yes, I have iptables running and thought I had all
> blocked from outside except ssh, mail and web browsing. I used the
> graphical utility that comes with FC2. Doesn't look like it does a very
> competent job :-)
All you need to have running on a private box is possibly ssh.

When a daemon is run it listens to "answer" a request.

If you have a server, like mail then it must be running, otherwise turn
all port servers off that don't need to be running.

Second put up a good firewall something like;

1) Set all policies to reject.
iptables -P INPUT REJECT
iptables -P FORWARD REJECT
iptables -P OUTPUT REJECT

2) iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state \
! ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j REJECT

3) iptables -I FORWARD -i eth0 -m state\
 --state ! ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j REJECT

etc

(SEE http://www.linuxguruz.com/ )
--