FW:

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Aug 11 22:34:00 UTC 2004

Francisco Ruiz wrote:

> [...]

I don't understand why you'd want a Linux terminal services box to
support rdesktop stuff.  Just have the "thin clients" run rdesktop and
access the Windows boxes directly.  You don't need a server for that.

If you mean you want the clients to see the desktop on a remote Linux
box,  the remote system can run a vnc server which the client can access
with vncviewer.  I recommend you tunnel that through ssh if any part of
the connection is exposed to the internet.

If you want the clients to be able to run an application on the remote
Linux box and have the display appear on the client, all they need to
do is log into the remote system and make sure the $DISPLAY environment
variable points to the client or through an ssh port-forward.  Output
will appear on the client.

Example: I ssh to a Linux box and check $DISPLAY, which shows
"localhost:10.0", meaning that X would be port forwarded through ssh.  I
run Mozilla on the remote machine.  The browser output appears on my
local machine, tunneled through ssh so it's encrypted over the internet.
-     I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!       -