Cannot open shared object file errors FIXED!

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 16 05:01:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 02:40, Rick Stevens wrote:
<snip>

> > Hello Rick, please see my reply to Bob. X started up OK today but there
> > is still the original problem similar to this one: 'error while loading
> > shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
> > file or directory'. Any clues? Doesn't appear to be a permission
> > problem, but what the problem is I have no idea. Sound familiar :-)
>
> It runs OK as root but not as a mortal user?  That smacks of permissions
> problems.  The library should be in /usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib (may be a
> different version, but you get the idea).  Make sure that all files in
> that directory and the directory itself has at least world read/execute
> permissions:
>
> 	# cd /usr/lib
> 	# chmod -R o+rw qt-3.1
>
> If in doubt, try reinstalling the qt RPM.  I don't think it's part of
> the X reinstall as qt isn't required for X, but a number of apps (Gnome
> and other things) depend on it.

I re-installed the qt RPM using the --force option but to no avail. The
problem kept occurring. The problem started about the same time I
installed the KDE RPMS using the GUI package manager. It got its
knickers in a twist over recognising the CD when it was inserted as
requested. I managed to get it to finish OK and never gave it another
thought. It was on the next boot that I started getting the 'error while
No such file or directory'. error. I re-installed using the --force
option as you suggested but the problem remained the same.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the answer was to 'rpm -e --nodeps
qt', which, to my surprise worked as a huge amount depended on it. Then
rpm -ivh qt*' from the CD and away things went. All OK. This took all of
2-3 minutes after mucking about with the problem for days. Stupidity
sure is a time hog! Never mind, I have learned a valuable lesson.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

> > Come live with me and be my love, And we will some new pleasures prove
> > Of golden sands and crystal brooks With silken lines, and silver hooks.
> > There's nothing that I wouldn't do If you would be my POSSLQ. You live
> > with me, and I with you, And you will be my POSSLQ. I'll be your friend
> > and so much more; That's what a POSSLQ is for. And everything we will
> > confess; Yes, even to the IRS. Some day on what we both may earn,
> > Perhaps we'll file a joint return. You'll share my pad, my taxes, joint;
> > You'll share my life - up to a point! And that you'll be so glad to do,
> > Because you'll be my POSSLQ.
>
> Now what a wonderful thought!  I often wondered why there were no love
> songs for POSSLQs and here's one dumped in my lap.  :-)

Pretty good, isn't it?

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
May a hundred thousand midgets invade your home singing cheesy
lounge-lizard versions of songs from The Wizard of Oz.