PPTP again (rh v9.0)

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Aug 18 20:37:02 UTC 2004

I installed:

kernel-mppe-2.4.20-8.i686.rpm,
ppp-2.4.2_cvs_20030610-1.i386.rpm

and PPTP started fine. However, after a reboot, the fine old message:

/usr/sbin/pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.  This could be
becausethe PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or because PPP was not
included in the kernel configuration.  If PPP was included as a
module, try `/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'.  If that fails, check that
ppp.o exists in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net.
See README.linux file in the ppp distribution for more details.

came back with a vengance. Did I even install the rpms? I did the command:

rpm -q kernel-mppe and sure enough, it shows kernel-mppe-2.4.20-8 is
installed. So, I redid the rpm -i command and then pptp works again.

I'm wondering how this can be...

--
Karl Pearson
karlp at ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
http://emailgroups.ourldsfamily.com
 If you don't think the dead come back to life, Be here at quitting time
 --
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America: http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml