NIS and linux

John Reynolds jreyn at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 26 15:49:50 UTC 2004

"Waldher, Travis R" <Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com>
Sent by: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
08/26/2004 08:44 AM
Please respond to
Getting started with Red Hat Linux

"Getting started with Red Hat Linux" <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
RE: NIS and linux

Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com said:
> [...]

Whew B-}

>Aliasing ypmake, makes sense. Any other system I've worked on uses
>ypmake.  To top it off, unless someone here could find it, it isn't
>covered in the man pages at all.  I had to spend some quality time with
>google to come up with that.

Hal Stern's 'Managing NFS and NIS' (O'Reilly) is the canonical reference
for NIS management. I've had very few issues with NIS that couldn't be
solved by hitting them with that book.

NIS+ is another matter.  I've found the best way to handle problems with
NIS+ is to rip it out and use something that works, instead.

John Reynolds
IBM-by-the-Bay
San Francisco CA