modprobe

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Dec 6 17:43:00 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:52:19 -0700 (MST), brad.mugleston at comcast.net
> <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>ok, I downloaded and built my own kernel package.  Went through
>>everything as before and got to "modprobe ndiswrapper" which
>>worked this time (one more step done)  Looked in the system log
>>and didn't find the message about ndiswrapper being loaded.
>>
>>I had gotten the warning that I only had a 4k stack size and I
>>may have problems - it didn't lock up or anything like it said it
>>just didn't work.
>>
>>So I have two questions
>>
>>1 - any good instructions on how to get the stack size larger?
>

> Not that I know of. I thought it might be a kernel config option but I
> can't find it this morning.

You must rebuild the kernel to go back to the old 8K stack size.  There
is no other way to do it.  ndiswrapper >0.80 works fine with a 4K stack.

>>2 - I've read the install instructions a number of times and each
>>time I find something else I probably need to do.  It says to
>>make sure I have the "Wireless Tools" installed.  What are those
>>and how do I tell if I have them installed.  If they aren't
>>installed where do I get them to install them?
>

> Here's one link. Sorry this isn't easier on FC. It's trivial on Gentoo.
>
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

ndiswrapper is not a difficult thing to build or install.  There are
several prerequisites:

1.  You MUST have the kernel source installed for the kernel you are
planning to have the driver run on.

2.  You must be RUNNING that kernel before you build ndiswrapper.  The
Makefile for ndiswraper does a "uname -r" to see which kernel to build
for (or you can bugger the Makefile to make it use the one you want).

3.  You must have the gone through at least the equivalent of "make
config" on the kernel source to configure it for your usage.  This
can be done by copying the appropriate config file from /boot and
to the kernel source directory's ".config" file and executing "make
oldconfig".

4.  You can then build ndiswrapper.  Don't forget to do "make install".
You will find the driver installed as

	/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

5.  Now it's installed.  You can follow the rest of the instructions in
the README/INSTALL files.
-              Death is nature's way of dropping carrier             -