Fedora Core 3 Belkin Crazy Mouse

Chris Hewitt rhil at manordata.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 6 20:15:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 18:55, Rick Stevens wrote:

> It does help, but the real answer is to not use a Belkin KVM.  This has
> been a known problem for a long time (it even effects some Windows
> machines).  The problem is that the KVM stops sending mouse sync events
> to the Linux box when the KVM isn't aimed at it.  Some mobos recognize
> this and create "phantom" mouse events to keep things alive.  Others
> don't.  I stick with Linksys or IOGear KVMs for small systems, Rose
> or Omniview for bigger systems (8 ports or more).

Yes, I agree with that. The problem is that people (like me) had already
bought it! I did not know about this when I bought mine, but the price
including cables being _so_ low makes it attractive to a lot of people.
I am not likely to trust, or buy, Belkin again.

> Because of this and the completely illegal "host connection stealing"
> thing they did in their routers, I NEVER recommend Belkin for anything
> other than just cables.  I don't trust them as far as I could throw
> their corporate headquarters.

Again, I heard about this afterwards (from you) and really, really do
not like it. I equate it ethically as bad as MS putting code into
Windows 3.x to cause random exceptions and reboots if the DOS it was
running on was DRDOS not MSDOS. I feel it finished Digital Research. As
someone who went out a bought MSDOS because I was suffering this problem
I felt really peeved when I found out.

Regards

Chris