FC2 - Samba setup

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Fri Dec 10 00:03:42 UTC 2004

Greetings Mark ,

gerrynix wrote:

> --- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   So...
>>
>>1) What's the name of the Samba setup environment? (Webmin maybe?)

You can use Webmin if you wish , the other choice is SWAT .

>>2) Where can I get an RPM for FC2 of whatever the environment is?

Within the FC2 cds you have all the rpms you need in order to run
samba . Take a look bellow :

[root at Magellan root]# rpm -qa | grep samba*
samba-client-3.0.5-2.FC1.1
redhat-config-samba-1.1.4-1
samba-3.0.5-2.FC1.1
samba-common-3.0.5-2.FC1.1
samba-swat-3.0.5-2.FC1.1

Mark ( The problem is that Rick Stevens was my original Master
and i can't really replicate him ) , basically all you need to do is
launch SWAT .
In order to achieve this just check your  /etc/services
file for  a line like the one bellow :

swat            901/tcp                         # Samba Web
Administration Tool

Then in /etc/xinetd.d/swat  , just make sure that there is a line that
says

disable =  no .

Then after your restart xinetd , all you have to do is

#service swat start.

Then swat should be accesible using your browser and giving the
localhost : 901

If everything has gone well then you must have swat running .
All you need now , is English and it is certain that you speak English .

One last thing , is that it might be usefull if you have common accounts
between Windows and Linux . All i mean is an account in Windows with the
username "Mark" and an account in Linux with the same username .

Samba is offering printer sharing , so you will not have problems with that
either .

> SWAT is the native graphical interface for samba although I believe
> webmin may have some functionality. Would be surprised that
> samba.org would be a good place to look.

:)) Well indeed it is .