SiS Graphics setup

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 23:13:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:24:34 -0800, Rick Stevens
<rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:

> > Yep. Found as much this morning when I ran across a good web site. The
> > SiS driver is loaded but my 3D performance is pretty bad at about
> > 200FPS.
>
> Hah, hmmm.  Do you have all of the necessary 3D boosts loaded?  Try
> "man 4 sis" to see the options available for that driver.  Maybe a
> combo of them will do the magic for you.

I don't know. The xorg.conf is just default except for changing the
driver name by hand from vesa to sis. Sometimes there are other
drivers that have to be loaded, at least with ATI and NVidia. Possibly
there is something like that here that I haven't discovered yet.

I'll have to check tomorrow as the kid is due home in about 5 minutes
so the machine is packed up and in the closet again.

I had a good day:

1) Found out about the SiS driver and found a kernel that seems to
work well. Got that booting with no complaints.

2) Got Half-Life working using Cedega. (WineX) Hard to believe but you
can play that game on a 128MB machine! The less sound and video seem
perfect. Amazing!

3) Switched wireless network adapters and got this one (DWL-520) to
install using ndiswrapper. It see my network using the scan option,
and then 'attaches' (I guess) when I put in the 24 digit key, but the
card isn't configured yet to do DHCP and ndiswrapper isn't starting
when I reboot.

4) Got my wife's XP box working with the DWL-G510 that I'd been trying
to use for the last 2 weeks under Linux. She wants to switch to Linux
too so I'll have to figure out how to handle that. The madwifi driver
gets started but complains about the HAL layer being incorrect. The
madwifi folks say they need a new HAL file from Atheros.

  Tomorrow finish getting the wireless to work on boot and see about
acceleration on the SiS graphics adapter. Once that's done I can wrap
the package and get ready to leave on Friday.

   Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers,
Mark