Christmas Wireless - final push today...

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 22:10:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:30:43 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:31:25 -0800, Rick Stevens
> <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>
> > It won't unless you have an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
> > file set up.  Sample for my Broadcom on FC3:
> >
> > # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
> > # for the documentation of these parameters.
> > # Broadcom BCM94306 802.11g for VitalStream Irvine office
> > IPV6INIT=no
> > ONBOOT=no
> > USERCTL=no
> > PEERDNS=yes
> > GATEWAY=
> > TYPE=Wireless
> > DEVICE=wlan0
> > HWADDR=00:90:96:57:E9:FF  <<--this will be different for you
> > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> > NETMASK=
> > DHCP_HOSTNAME=golem.corp.publichost.com <<--choose a hostname you want
> > IPADDR=
> > DOMAIN=
> > ESSID=someessid  <<--use YOUR ESSID here
> > CHANNEL=7
> > KEY=s:xxxxxxxxxxxxx  <<--I use a 13-character ASCII ESSID
> > KEY=hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  <<-- Use a 26-character HEX key instead
> > MODE=Managed
> > RATE=11Mb/s

<SNIP>

> > > What do I need to do to really attach to the network?
> >
> > The valid ESSID, KEY and CHANNEL set.

Rick,
   I got it working, at least by hand. I'm on the net browsing as we speak.

   My key mode is not 'restricted'. It is 'open'. Probably I should
change that from the sound of it but not today.

   The problem I have right now is I don't know how to make the change
stick. How do I set the ifcfg-wlan0 file to understand it's key open?

Thanks,
Mark