New Newbie RH9 Install

Chris Hewitt rhil at manordata.uklinux.net
Sat Dec 25 20:03:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 22:41, PC Tech - JohnH wrote:
> I just purchased "Red Hat Linux 9 for Dummies" and everything went
> fine until I tried to setup the network. I followed the book to the
> letter but nothing happens. I have the following NIC and other
> hardware as follows:
>
> 1 - NIC = Realteck RTL8139C PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
> 2 - Video = 3DFX VooDoo3
> 3 - Modem = Agere Systems Pci Soft Modem
> 4 - Sound = Yamaha DS-XG
>
> Red Hat 9 and KDE/Gnome run fast and I have no problems except for the
> network and sound.
>
> Unless one would consider not being able to connect to my DSL service
> a problem too.
> But I just thought that would be solved when I solve the network
> problem.
> (with DSL I don't use my "snail" modem)

John,

There have been several reported problems with the 8139 chip. If you
search for "8139" in the archives at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=redhat-list there are many posts on it.
The information in these may help to solve your problem, but I have not
seen any one issue in them as being "the" solution so need to leave you
to look through them.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas

Chris