Redhat 7.3 update agent hangs after first update

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 16:43:29 UTC 2004

If you would, please, beat your mailer into submission until it wraps
lines every 72 chars or so.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 12:33:17PM +0100, No Alternative wrote:
> I know I am using an unsupported older version of redhat.  I was
> scared the newer ones would be to much for my old AMD k6 -2.  I have
> upgraded the hardrive and the memory but it is still and older
> computer.

Go ahead and upgrade if you can.  I'm running FC2 one one of my K6-3s,
and FC1 on the other only because I haven't gotten around to taking it
offline to upgrade it.

> OEM Compaq Win 98 quit out an I needed something.
> Anyway, the disks come from a "Redhat 7.3 for Dummies" book, so you
> know where I am at on the linux learning curve.
>
> Anyway, I installed it and it recognized all my important hardware
> just fine.  I also updated the ssh certificates for Redhat update
> agent so that isn't the problem.  It always hangs at 2% when
> installing the update for xfree86.   It even does this when I do it
> from the command line with up2date.  Can anyone help?

Every install or upgrade from CDs writes a log in /root.  After it
fails, boot with the CD into rescue mode (put "linux rescue" at the
boot: prompt), let it mount your system on /mnt/sysimage, then

  cd /mnt/sysimage/root
  ls
  less install.log # or upgrade.log, if that's what you're doing

When done, just "exit" and it will reboot.

See also for more information:

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#install_dies

> Also, I wasn't able to create an iptables firewall using the
> instructions provided in the Redhat for dummies book.  I think it is
> a different version of iptables maybe.  This book appears to be a
> newer edition of a book that had been written for even older
> versions of red hat, so I figure I am being given the instructions
> for the wrong iptables.

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#firewall

There are also several aftermarket firewall tools such as

http://www.fs-security.com/
http://www.shorewall.net/
http://www.smoothwall.org/ (didn't work just now)
http://www.bastille-linux.org/
http://muse.linuxmafia.org/gshield/

Once you get it set up, use this to check it out:

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
"...And His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God,
the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6