installing developer package in linux 8.0 (the one containing gcc, etc.)

Francesco Lama f.lama at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 20 19:52:24 UTC 2004

I installed my rh linux 8.0 some time ago, and have been happily using
it since, but I have recently acquired some software which requires
compiling by gcc. I have run rpm to attempt to install the package
containing it from the CDs I originally bought, as suggested by rpm, but
it complains about not finding the right versions of openssl, openldap,
cyrus-sasl, glibc, and krb5-libs. This makes sense, because I have been
updating my system regularly, using rh update agent, so I have the
latest versions of all installed packages in my system.
How can I now install the developer package, without going back to using
the earlier versions of all my installed packages?
Can I download the latest versions of the developer packages, free of
charge from anywhere?
Can I update the versions of the files on the developer package by some
means.
What do you advise?
Francesco Lama.