installing developer package in linux 8.0 (the one containing gcc, etc.)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 20 21:27:32 UTC 2004

Francesco Lama wrote:
> I installed my rh linux 8.0 some time ago, and have been happily using
> it since, but I have recently acquired some software which requires
> compiling by gcc. I have run rpm to attempt to install the package
> containing it from the CDs I originally bought, as suggested by rpm, but
> it complains about not finding the right versions of openssl, openldap,
> cyrus-sasl, glibc, and krb5-libs. This makes sense, because I have been
> updating my system regularly, using rh update agent, so I have the
> latest versions of all installed packages in my system.
> How can I now install the developer package, without going back to using
> the earlier versions of all my installed packages?
> Can I download the latest versions of the developer packages, free of
> charge from anywhere?
> Can I update the versions of the files on the developer package by some
> means.
> What do you advise?

Why not pull down the latest gcc, g++ stuff from one of the mirror
sites to a scratch directory (say, "/usr/xxx") and install them via
"rpm -Fvh /usr/xxx/*.rpm".

A good mirror is
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/pub/redhat/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/i386
- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -