OT:Apache question

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 14:55:27 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>> I want to be clear about this point above - the <VirtualHost *>
>> comment above - does this exist by default and then automatically use
>> the name I place in my hosts file??? If it did it could account for
>> why I'm seeing some of this stuff. Something like knechthome.com is
>> in hosts, so a VitualHost gets set up, but then Apache tries to
>> 'resolve' knechthome.com through DNS and cannot, so it bbombs out
>> saying it cannot find it?

Mark,

Looking at your original post, you have a single site. The virtualhost
directives are not needed for this so if you don't want to get deep into
Apache httpd administration you may like to avoid using them. They are
all commented out by default.

I don't have a commonapache2.conf file either. I've never heard of it so
I would think it is a customisation someone has put in.

Rick's single "Alias" line should be all you need.

HTH
Chris