OT:Apache question - what should really be in /etc/hosts?

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 17:38:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 09:21, Mark Knecht wrote:

> With that entry removed....

Chris,
   OK, this is interesting. I got it working, at least on my home
network. Maybe you can check it quickly from there if you get the
message.

http://marksmusic.myvnc.com
http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files

   I had removed the /etc/hosts entry for the machine as before, and
then I decided to restart apache. I got a message that it could not
determine the fully qualified name of the server. So I edited the entry
in /etc/hosts to look like this:

192.168.1.26    marksmusic.myvnc.com    Wizard

restarted Apache and now it's working from all of my machines.

As I had originally said in my very first email (I think) I've never
knowne the *right* way to set up a hosts file on a home studio network
where I don't run DNS and don't map (technically) to the outside world.

Is the entry above technically correct? Can I have a fully qualified
name that's different from the machine name?

Will I see Wizard as the login prompt name when I reboot?

   Anyway, I think it's working, sans any issues found when coming
through my firewall.

   Thanks for talking me through things. If it's actually working then
I'm happy. Still before 10AM. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark