AS3.0 - bcm5700 vs tg3 drivers

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 21:59:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 01:50:40PM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> > <Earlier travail snipped>
> >
> >When I try to load the driver, I get this error message.
> >
> >Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o
> >/lib/modules/2.4.21-4.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o: couldn't find
> >the kernel version the module was compiled for
> >
> >Last time I got that error, it was an issue with the driver not liking
> >the kernel name.  Even something as simple as the smp on the end would
> >mess it up.  That was using Compaq's drivers.   This latest driver was
> >from broadcom itself and still did the same thing.
>
> Did you download the source and build it yourself?  Unless you're using
> the stock kernel, no it won't work (all of the modules are built with
> "modversion" enabled).
>
> To build them, you must:
>
> 1. Download and install the kernel source
>
> 2. Change directory to the kernel source:
>
> 	cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
>
> 3. Edit the Makefile's "EXTRAVERSION=" definition to match your
> kernel's name
>
> 4. Copy the config file from /boot to .config in the kernel source dir:
>
> 	[root at host linux-2.4]# cp /boot/config-kernelversion .config
>
> 5. Configure the kernel source:
>
> 	[root at host linux-2.4]# make oldconfig;make dep
>
> 6. Download the Broadcom source to a scratch directory and untar it.
>
> 7. Build the driver source based on their instructions.
>
> 8. Test the driver by doing "insmod bcm5700.o"
>
> 9. If it loads correctly, copy the "bcm5700.o" file to the appropriate
> spot in /lib (usually /lib/modules/kernelversion/kernel/drivers/addon).
>
> 10. Finally, do a "depmod -a" to make sure the dependencies are
> fulfilled.
>
> Voila!  The next boot should successfully load bcm5700, provided you
> have an "alias eth0 bcm5700" in your /etc/modules.conf file.
>
> At least, that's how I do it.  Does that help?
>
> The latest bcm5700 code I have is V7.1.9, but I haven't looked at their
> site for a month or more, so I'm sure I'm out of date.  The build
> procedure should be the same.
>
> BTW, building kernels from source RPM or tarball is documented at:
>
> 	http://www.rhil.net/docs/kernelbuild.html

Hmm.  Just yesterday, I downloaded their package for the BCM4401.  It
contained a source tarball and a source RPM.  I blew up the tarball,
built it and installed it.  It just worked.  No kernel hassles.  Did I
miss something?

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.