installing Qmail on RedHat 9

Ajai Khattri ajai at bway.net
Wed Feb 25 00:37:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Rick Stevens wrote:

> John Moracho wrote:
> > I would also like to ask if there is an document from Redhat on removing
> > sendmail on Redhat 9. I cant seem to find one.  I do not want to deal
> > with RPM's as I have been also running into problems with them as well.
> > Is it possible to remove services or daemons without running rpm commands?
>
> Well, yes.  You can delete sendmail by doing "rpm -e sendmail", or you
> can "/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop", then delete the sendmail binary
> and all of the symbolic links for it:
>
> 	/usr/sbin/sendmail
> 	/usr/lib/sendmail
> 	others (use "find / -name sendmail -print" for a full list)
>
> If you don't "rpm -e sendmail", you'll get nagged for updates if you
> use up2date whenever a new version comes out, since the entry for
> sendmail will remain in your RPM database.

You may find you cannot remove the package because of dependencies (I
think logwatch or diskcheck needs it? Also mutt or pine).

Another option is to install postfix and then use the alternatives command
to switch MTA from sendmail to postfix.

I run qmail+vpopmail+Courier+squirrelmail+qmailadmin on a RedHat box but I
built everything purely from source tarballs...

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer