RedHat 7.3 Server Install

Craig Cameron monte-carlo at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 25 03:08:12 UTC 2004

It's been 3 days since I have downloaded and written the RH 7.3 ISO images to disks.  I verified the ISO files with the MD5SUM.  I slowed down my cd writer to 2x, and all 3 cd's burned without errors.  I wrote a bootup floppy using RAWRITE, and ran MEDIACHECK on all 3 disks, and all passed(including today).

I'm tryng to install a server install with the following partitions:

/boot    60MB
/          3000MB
swap    128MB

The machine is a pentium 133 with 64MB of Ram, and a Maxtor 10GB drive.

Now the problem:  cpio: MD5 sum mismatch

This error occurs at random places in the install(according to the install.log), and with different packages on each attempt to install.  I actually made it to the 2nd cd on one install.

I have changed the CD ROM(3 times) and I have tried different hard drives.

The only thing that I haven't changed is the cd's.  They are Memorex, for 1X to 16X.  Like I said, I slowed my cd writer (HP 8250i) to 2x when I wrote the disks.

The really confusing thing is it fails on different packages each install attempt.  I ran a MEDIACHECK on disk 1 again tonight, and it passed.

I'm not using any parameters.  To start the install, I boot up on the floppy created earlier, and enter TEXT to start a text installation.  I don't install anything but the server configuration; no additional packages, because I plan for this to be my SAMBA server down the road.  But now, it would be nice to get Linux going.

I used Google to search for this error, and it seems to be happening to alot of people, but I couldn't find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.