ssh on port 21?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 25 17:20:38 UTC 2004

rab wrote:
> I can telnet out through the firewall at work but I can't get them to
> allow me to ssh out to my home pc. Can I open a hole in my router
> firewall and allow incoming ssh on both ports 21 and 22? (I'm able to
> ssh into my pc using dial up but not through the company lan.)

How utterly silly.  Why not ask your IT department to permit SSH access?
What are they afraid of?  FTP is far more likely to be hacked than SSH.
Remind them that passwords and such go out over FTP in plaintext
(unencrypted).  SSH certainly can't hurt them.

You can set up ssh to listen on any port you want, but you'll need to
connect via "ssh -p 21" AND the daemon on your machine at home needs to
listen on port 21, either via "sshd -p 21" or in the
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file's "Port" directive.
-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -