ssh on port 21?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 26 18:20:44 UTC 2004

Rick Bilonick wrote:
> Thanks guys. It works like a charm. On the router firewall, I set the
> public port to 23 and the private port to 22. To use ssh at work:
>
>  > ssh -p 23 -l myid myip
>
> To use sftp:
>
>  > sftp -o "port 23" myid at myip
>
> In konqueror, I would enter "sftp://myid@myip/" when using port 22 with
> dial up access. I'm not sure how to pass the '-o "port 23"' information
> using konqueror.

"sftp://myid@myip:23/".  IOW, the same way any URL specifies a port
number...a colon and port number.

> The IT department here figures if they just ignore your requests,
> eventually you will go away. That's why we can't access newsgroups (they
> said they were afraid that someone might be able to access porn through
> newsgroups) or use ssh/sftp. (I had to get a special dispensation to use
> telnet and ftp.)

Eh?  I can understand not permitting usenet (although there are a ton of
archives available via http where you can get the smut if you want to),
but blocking ssh and such is just plain idiotic.
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -