instalation problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 27 00:24:31 UTC 2004

Dewey Dunnington wrote:
> hey,
>
> i'm having some trouble with installing linux. i'm working from an
> MS-DOS setting...and i created the boot disk and got into the setup
> program, but when it checks the CD it says its not the red hat
> installation CD. I downlaoded the images on someones computer with a
> high speed connection, extracted them and then burned them to a CD. I'm
> not quite sure what isn't working, does anybody know what is going on?

You should have downloaded the ".iso" files and burned them to CD using
your program's "Create CD from ISO image" option.

If you mount the CD in Windows and only see one file on it, you burned
it wrong.  If you see a bunch of files but DIDN'T use the .iso files,
you burned it wrong also (there's no boot loader and the MD5 checksum of
the CD will be wrong).  If you do download the .iso files and burn them
to CDs correctly, you can boot the first CD and install from there (you
won't need a boot floppy).

See http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#making_cds for help.
-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -