lvm2 installation messed up? /dev/mapper/control : open failed

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 27 17:24:25 UTC 2004

VB wrote:
> Hi, ( I forgot the subject on my last identical email,
> sorry )
>  When running "make install" for the 2.6.3 from a RH9
> 2.4.20-8 machine I get the following error after the
> zImage is succesfully made and moved and the new
> System.map file is made:
>
> /dev/mapper/control : open failed : No such file or
> directory
> Is device-mapper driver missing fromkernel?
>
> Googl-ing gives me all types of different solutions
> that don't seem related, so I'm utterly confused.
> After installing lvm2, am I supposed to run additional
> commands (i.e. vgconvert)? I installed lvm2 using the
> redhat rpm and statically compiled devfs into the
> kernel.  I'm leaning towards following the solution at
> the bottom of:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/8/2003/12/4/129549
>
> but would running a script everytime on startup be the
> solution?

You can trigger the startup script based on the "post-install" of the
dm_mod module as shown in that link.  I think that's the deal.  I
haven't used lvm under 2.6.x, so anything I say is a shot in the dark,
but I think you're on track here.
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -