tripping over Telnet

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 27 17:30:13 UTC 2004

Info wrote:
> I just put RedHat 8 on a machine.  I've been trying to telnet to it.  But it refuses connections.  I've tried disabling the firewall.  (Everytime I run the gui, it starts out with the firewall at high security. Since box refuses to talk, I suspect that it is the case.)
>
> Anyone got a clue as to where the real enable Telnet switch is hiding?

Telnet is disabled by default on all Red Hat linuxes since 7.1 because
it's a HUGE FRIGGIN' security hole.  Never, EVER use telnet.  Use
ssh instead.  With telnet, EVERYTHING goes over the net in cleartext
(including passwords).  ssh encrypts everything using a (default)
blowfish encryption algorithm.

If you must use telnet (very, very bad idea), edit /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
and change the "disable = yes" to "disable = no", then restart xinetd
by:

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

or

	service xinetd restart
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -