Re: samba hell

Marty Landman wrote:
At 08:55 PM 1/28/2004, Rick Stevens wrote:

If you're using XP Home, the Linux username and the Windows username must be the same and have the same, exact password.

Ok, that did the trick, thanks Rick. Now, any idea why I've lost the ability to browse network neighborhood on my xp home box since setting up samba on the linux box?

The only thing I can think of is the browser election process. I don't have your smb.conf file handy, but check the file for the "local browser" and "browser list" options. If they're not specified, that's fine. If either (or both) are specified, make sure they're both set to "yes". You may also want to set "domain master" to "no" (turns off Samba's master browser operations). There's so much in Samba that's interrelated that it's hard to diagnose things. The "domain master" stuff is only active if you're using domain logins.

If you care to post the file again, I'll have a look.  Keep in mind that
I'm not a "Samba guru", but I've used it enough to be dangerous!
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-     Try to look unimportant.  The bad guys may be low on ammo.     -