VNC Server

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Jul 4 05:55:57 UTC 2004

Hello Rick, I am having trouble with Evolution at the moment where I am
unable to reply to your post containing the instructions to get VNC
working. I have tried four times so far and all messages have been
empty. Perhaps the time has come to invoke yum and update Evolution :-)

Anyway, to continue... The xstartup file created by the first invocation
of vncserver did not contain the line 'unset SESSION_MANAGER'. After
inserting that line I managed to get the XWindow I was expecting.
However, to get the vncviewer to work I had to use the following
command:- 'sudo vncviewer -via barney barney:1' Without the 'sudo' it
failed with the 'unable to read password' error. Using sudo it asked for
root's password on barney, then my user password on barney and it all
worked.

One thing I would like to change if I can is the size of the TightVNC
window that comes up. The argument 'fullscreen' defaults to 'no' but
that is almost as big as fullscreen. It is larger than the screen size
and results in a scroll bar right and bottom. Is there a way to set the
screen size?

Thanks for all your help so far.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

I stood on the leading edge,
The eastern seaboard at my feet.
"Jump!" said Yoko Ono
I'm too scared and good-looking, I cried.
Go on and give it a try,
Why prolong the agony, all men must die.
		-- Roger Waters, "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking"

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -