Chown and root

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 6 21:51:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 02:31:33PM -0700, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Tell 'em, "Tough!"  ;-)

> The Linux systems (Specifically Yellowdog in this case, which is based
> off RedHat) don't allow this.

Yes, I recall, in the not too distant past, being able to chown as a
mere mortal, and being dismayed that I couldn't in Linux.  However, I
have precious little need of it, so it's not bothered me.

> Now, we may or may not want to turn this on, a subject of more
> debate.

I'm sure someone with more experience (Rick Stevens, call your
office.) will have good information on why this is A Bad Idea(tm).  I
think I heard a good story at one time, but I don't recall it just
now.  Looking at the header file noted in your following para, I'd
guess that removing chown from mere mortals was a POSIXification, and
someone involved with POSIX had a good reason for it.

> But, lets say we do, how do we do this?
>
> I've found an entry CAP_CHOWN in /usr/include/linux/capability.h that
> looks like I could use to enable this. I'de still want someone wiser and
> more knowledgeable than myself to confirm it though.

Looks workable to me.  That means you'd have to build a new kernel,
something I've not done since modular kernels came out.  Do be sure to
keep your old (working) kernel in case something turns sour.

> Thanks,
> Travis

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com