redhat-config-packages problem + other

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 15 06:35:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 04:16, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > Hello Folks, I seem to be having a problem with the rpm database or
> > something because redhat-config-packages no longer runs and I cannot
> > figure out what may be wrong. Running it from the command line results
> > in the following:_

> >>From now on I am lost. Has anyone any idea what may have become
> > corrupted? Is there a compatibility problem in the various python etc
> > libraries/packages caused by one or more being upgraded independently?
> > (This would have to have happened because of some automated upgrade as I
> > haven't done any upgrades myself)
> >
> > For what its worth the following is the code in hdrlist.py down to line
> > 32 where the error occurs:-
> >
> > #
> > # hdrlist.py - functions for dealing with header lists
> > #
> > # Based on code originally from anaconda's comps.py
> > #
> > # Copyright 2002 Red Hat, Inc.
> > #
> >
> > import os, sys
> > import rpm404 as rpm
> > import method
> > from comps import Package
> >
> > if os.environ.has_key("RCPUPGRADE") and os.environ["RCPUPGRADE"] == "1":
> >     ALLOWUPGRADE = 1
> > else:
> >     ALLOWUPGRADE = 0
> >
> > class HeaderList(dict):
> >     def selected(self):
> >         l = []
> >         keys = self.keys()
> >         keys.sort()
> >         for name in keys:
> >             if self[name].isSelected():
> >                 l.append(self[name])
> >         return l
> >
> >     def mergeRpmDb(self, instPath = "/"):
> >         installedmethod = method.InstalledPackageMethod()
> >
> >         db = rpm.opendb(0, instPath)
> >         i = db.firstkey()
> >         while i is not None:
> >
> > Hoping someone can help.
>
> This problem has been documented many times.  To fix it, as root:
>
> 	# cd /var/lib/rpm
> 	# rm -f __db*    (that's two underscores)
> 	# rpm --rebuilddb
>
> Then RPM should work properly.

Hi Rick, noooo..., doesn't work. I tried all that before I posted the
message. There are/were no __db* files and rpm --rebuilddb without
error. Anyway, many thanks for replying. Its academic now, it all works
fine in FC2 :-) Now... all I've got to do is sort a few problems as a
result of the upgrade and I will be all back to normal. See my other
posts today.

Ta,

Graeme.