Dual Booting

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 10:16:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:26:01AM +0100, Kommoju Yujeeta Yasaswi wrote:
> Hi
> I have Single Harddisk of 40 GB
>
> My OS is Windows XP, Now I installed RedHat Linux 9 using Automatically Partition in logical partition of size 6 GB approx.,
>
> After some days i got some problems in WindowXP and i reinstalled it. After reinstalling it i found that there was no grub boot loader. Windows XP was booting directly.
> Now I want RHL 9 back that to with out reinstalling it.
> Please tell me if there is any possibility.
>
> My email address are
> yashaswi1980 at yahoo.co.in
> yasaswi4u at hotmail.com
>
> Thank you,
> regards yash

Yes, there is.  Boot into rescue mode with your RH 9 Disk1 ("linux
rescue").  Let it mount the filesystems.  Then

  chroot /mnt/sysimage
  grub-install /dev/hda
  exit
  exit

Yes, exit twice - once out of the chroot, once out of rescue.  It
should reboot.  Pop out the CD.  You should get a GRUB screen.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Nothing ruins truth like stretching it.