Help me out?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 16 17:33:17 UTC 2004

Muhammad Nouman Siddiqui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yes am login n password r correct.how could i check my imap server ? is
> this authenticating or not?

You can try a telnet-style IMAP login to see what's going on.  In the
example below:

	"imap-server-name" = the name of your IMAP server
	"username" = your user name on the system
	"password" = your password

Note that the username and password are the ones you'd use to log into
the system normally and the system may respond with text that is
slightly different from what I show here.

You type in:
telnet imap-server-name 143

The system should respond with:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN]
imap-server-name IMAP4 2003.339 at Fri, 16 Jul 2004
10:18:45 -0700 (PDT)

You type in:
1 login username password     (the first character is the digit "one")

The system should respond with:
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY
UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
MULTIAPPEND] User username authenticated

You type in:
2 logout

The system should respond with:
* BYE imap-server-name IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
2 OK LOGOUT completed

And you've logged out.

That's essentially what an IMAP login and logout do.  And please bottom
post in the future (enter your comments AFTER what you're commenting
on, as I have done.
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -