Need to upgrade dual boot WIN2K

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 16 17:38:52 UTC 2004

Vaibhav Deshpande wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a dual boot system (Win 2K and RH 9). I need to upgrade to WIN XP
> but DON'T want to loose RH9. Basically, XP is for my office work and
> RH9 is for my personal interest.
>
> Is there any safe way of doing this? How much is the risk involved (of
> loosing RH 9)?

Unless you tell XP to reformat the disk, you won't lose it.  If you use
grub or lilo to do the dual boot for you, you may not be able to boot
RH9 because XP overwrote the boot loader.

If that's the case, simply boot off your first RH9 CD and enter

	linux rescue

at the boot prompt.  Let the system find your RH9 installation and mount
it.  Then:

	# chroot /mnt/sysimage

If you use grub, type this command:

	# grub-install /dev/hda

If you use lilo:

	# /sbin/lilo

Then, enter "exit" twice (the first gets you out of the chrooted
environment, the second reboots the system).  Remove the CD and you
should get back to your multiboot screen and all should be well.

Of course, you DO have a current RH9 backup, don't you?  Hmmmm?
-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -