Can't format /boot

Ken Scott kens at geodax.com
Tue Jul 20 16:12:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 10:53, Java Samurai wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install RH9. I get all the way to the
> final steps. It says
> 'formating /' which works. But when it gets to
> 'formating /boot' it fails and tells me the 'hardware
> doesn't support this version of Linux'. But it doesn't
> tell me why.
>
> The hard drive is a Western Digital 10Gb. It used to
> have Windows, but I wiped it clean.
> The motherboard is Soyo SY-5EHM1.1 with the latest
> bios. I let Disk Druid partition the drive
> automatically.
>
> I tried formating each partition individually with
> Disk Druid, but still no luck.
>
> Maybe there is a bios setting I need to use?
>
> Please help
>
> Thanks.

Since you have wiped the harddisk (and no further damage can be done),
why not try to download and install another single CD distro just to see
if you get similar problems (I have had good success with installs of
both both Morphix-Gnome and Knoppix [I know, they are not RH so they are
blasphemy   :)  ].  One last comment, I had RH 9 for over a year on 2
machines, both of which exhibited occasional lockups and other
reliability quirks which I couldn't figure out. I have recently loaded
Fedora Core 2 and it seems to be quite stable.  I'd jump past RH9 to
that, at least.
One guys opinion,
Ken